Wednesday, May 26, 2010

What Problems Can The Multiple Sclerosis Symptom of Dropping Things Cause You?

When I started out with a severe case of Multiple Sclerosis 13 years ago, I was having a very difficult time with the Multiple Sclerosis symptom of dropping things.

This made it so that I had to cut out doing every day activities like doing dishes, putting dishes away in the cabinet, stopping using any dishes or glasses that were breakable, since I broke everything I used by dropping it on the ground and shattering it.

It was like I was losing control of my hands.

It took a while of changing lots of things, before I started to recover my abilities to use my hands again to do even daily activities that we can sometimes take for granted that we can do.

The scariest thing about all of the problems that I had with dropping things is that I love kids. I used to help my friends out with babysitting for them and I loved playing with their children.

At the time, I had no children of my own and I remember that at one point I was somewhere around lots of people and someone handed me their 2 month old baby to hold. I hadn't really thought about it at first, since it was about 3 years after I was first diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and my friend was talking with someone else and they had walked a few feet away from me and left me holding the baby.

I suddenly was in a panic, when I realized that I couldn't hang onto to the baby for more than a few minutes. All I could think about was that I was going to drop the baby.

I tried desperately to get my friend's attention and when she finally sent her husband over to take the baby away from me, I felt such relief that I hadn't dropped and hurt the baby.

After that, I was not willing to pick up a baby or any child and hold them. That was difficult, since I love children.

What kind of things does this Multiple Sclerosis symptom of dropping things get in the way of you doing, that makes it difficult for you to function from day to day?

I'd really like to hear more from you , as to what you are dealing with because of the effects of Multiple Sclerosis, since you have been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis.

Sometimes just discussing the way that Multiple Sclerosis has affected our lives does help us to feel like we are not alone in our struggles with MS.

I'd love to hear from you. Leave us your comments and we can talk about it.

Take comfort in knowing, you are not alone in your struggle with Multiple Sclerosis.

We can learn to help each other to reduce the effects of Multiple Sclerosis on our health.

***

No comments: