Tuesday, October 21, 2008

What we Focus on is Everything, when it comes to MS

Sometimes, on the days where the symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis become so out of control, it can become unbearable or down right discouraging to “deal with” or “live with” the symptoms of ms. What can we do to get through the really tough times where we just feel like throwing in the towel? I don’t know about you, but I find that it can be very difficult for me to “look on the positive side”, when my health just seems to be spinning out of control. Sometimes I feel very frustrated or I just feel like screaming “It is NOT fair!” Other times I just feel like sitting down and “have a good cry” or I just want to find a way to escape the times that it’s been a total nightmare because of what I have struggled with, while dealing with the symptoms of ms.

But, I finally decided, that for me, it’s okay to have a few days off and on where I feel like I am just “melting down” or “losing it” or whatever you call it. But as long as I do not stay “stuck” in these negative states of mind most of the time, this is okay. Just let it be okay, when you are not having a good day, rather than stress out about “what you can't do today”. I know it is easier said than done, since I am guilty so often of not “letting it be okay” when I’m doing less than my best or I am just having “one of those days" (or maybe even "one of those months"?) where I’m not functioning very well because of my symptoms of multiple sclerosis going crazy again. But, I’m working on being more positive more often and you need to work on this too, since sometimes this is easier said than done. It is do-able for you and me to focus our minds and our energies on the positive, instead of the negative. Being positive also helps to calm down the nervous system and boost the response of the immune system, which also helps, those of us with Multiple Sclerosis, to fight off infections more easily and to reduce how severe and how frequent our symptoms of ms can become.

But I have been thinking more about things lately...about how what we focus our minds on has a HUGE impact on our bodies, as far as how our bodies respond to what is going on around us and even inside of us. Somehow our bodies listen to everything that we think about, everything that we say, everything that we hear, everything that we feel and even everything that we choose to believe. I have tested my theory about this several times with both myself and other people in my life over a more extended period of time and I keep coming back to this conclusion – that we need to listen to the signals that our bodies give us that something is just too much for us to handle or it’s time to just rest and replenish, rather than “stressing out” over everything.

Have you ever noticed that so often what we focus on is what we tend to get? How does this work, anyway? I find that sometimes what we focus our thoughts and energies on is a “self fulfilling prophecy”, where we tend to get what we think will happen to us. What we believe, about how we view the world around us and how we interpret the large amount of information that comes in through our 5 senses, changes how our bodies react to everything. If, for one reason or another, we don’t think that we deserve things to go well in our lives, they most likely won’t, since we automatically distort the information that we take in through our 5 senses to “fit” into what we already believe. We automatically, without thinking about it, form a picture in our minds or internally form a picture of how we define everything that we encounter in the world around us. This is how this “self fulfilling prophecy” thing works.

If we change what we focus our thoughts and energies on, we change the outcome. After all, if we think continuously about how terrible we feel on the days that our symptoms of multiple sclerosis flare up, than it actually makes us feel worse. If we focus our minds or “set our minds” on what we CAN do each day or on something more positive each day, then it really can help the tougher days to not be as bad as they could be. As you continue on your quest to wellness, while dealing with the symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis, remember this one thing – YOU are NOT ALONE in dealing with the symptoms of multiple sclerosis!


I understand how difficult dealing with the symptoms of ms can be, since I have been battling with a more severe case of Multiple Sclerosis for 12 years. But I want you to know that there are things out there, some of which I have found, that can help to reduce your symptoms of ms. My neurologist told me around a month ago, that from a neurological point of view that I AM getting better! I have found Alternative and Natural ways that help to reduce the symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis!

To learn more about what I have learned that has helped reduce my symptoms of MS, go to http://www.TamingMultipleSclerosis.com/ for information.

***

No comments: